Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeSportMajor regatta to round out season

Major regatta to round out season

A big season of schoolgirl rowing on the Barwon River is set to culminate this weekend with the Head of the Schoolgirls Regatta.

More than 2200 schoolgirls from 45 schools across the state will flock to Geelong for the three-day regatta from Friday, March 18 to Sunday, March 20 to compete in 51 events on the river.

Rowing Geelong president Sam Elliott said he was pleased to see numbers up from last year and looking forward to having a full crowd back along the banks of the Barwon River.

“Whilst numbers have been down across the board for rowing as a sport throughout and post COVID, we’ve enjoyed somewhat of a resurgence here in Geelong,” he said.

“All our regattas this season have attracted more competitors than last.

“If you ask anyone around rowing, they’ll tell you they love coming down to Geelong to compete on the Barwon River. We have a safe and fair course and spectators love being able to view the racing the length of the course from both banks.”

The regatta has been held on the Barwon River since 1987 and injects around $2.5 million into the local economy each year, with the organising committee committed to hosting the event in Geelong until at least 2024.

In the main races, the female school eight open division one will be hotly contested between Melbourne schools’ St Catherine’s School, Melbourne Girls Grammar School and Wesley College.

Kardinia International College looks to be in with a good chance in the female school quad scull open division one while Geelong College rower Issy Batrouney is a favourite to take out the female school single open division one.

Racing will start at 8am on Friday and finish with the final of the female school eight open division one around 4pm on Sunday.

There will be some traffic management changes over the weekend to ensure safety, with Victoria Police sharing on social media a section of Barrabool Road between Quarry Close and High Street, Belmont would be closed to eastbound traffic from 7am-6pm on Saturday and 6.30am-5.30pm on Sunday.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...