Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeSportScott sees positives with Cats in familiar territory

Scott sees positives with Cats in familiar territory

The feeling is so similar that Geelong coach Chris Scott has relented and broken his golden rule about not comparing seasons.

At 5-4, the Cats are in familiar territory, having launched last year’s flag raid from the same platform after nine rounds.

And with eight premiership players set to come back from injury and suspension – most of those before the mid-season bye – there is cause for optimism.

“It just feels so similar,” a philosophical Scott said after Friday night’s 24-point defeat to Richmond.

“That doesn’t mean that it’s going to play out the same way.

“But we had every intention last year, as we did this year, of managing our players through the season and we’ve had virtually no opportunity to do that.

“It’s been kind of managed through injury, so the secret there is to sort of hang in, take the positives and keep working on your game.

“When they (the injured players) come back, hopefully you can sort of hit your straps a little bit.”

Brad Close will return from suspension against Fremantle next week, while Scott said small forward Tyson Stengle (arm) and defender Jack Henry (foot) could also be in the selection frame.

Captain Patrick Dangerfield (hamstring), Sam De Koning (face), Gary Rohan (hamstring), Rhys Stanley (eye socket) and Cam Guthrie (toe) should not be far behind.

“We’re going to have to improve a lot to go on a run like we did last year,” Scott said.

“But there’s a lot of room for optimism in the improvement we’ve got in us and the personnel to come back.”

The loss to Richmond ended the Cats’ five-match winning streak but Scott was buoyed by much of what he saw, in particular from his younger players.

He praised debutant Jhye Clark and took heart from the performances of 20-year-old trio Tanner Bruhn, Oliver Dempsey and Mitch Knevitt.

“They all did some good things and there was reason to be positive … but there was some stuff that didn’t quite look like Geelong at their best,” Scott said.

“It wasn’t so much the stuff around the ball, it was just some sort of system things where you’re kind of like, ‘That’s not us.’

“But then you see the players involved and you think, ‘He’s played three games, just sort of chill out a bit’.

“I think that’s the reason I’m not as surly as I normally am when we lose.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Around the grounds

More News

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...