Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeSportU19s, female football postponed

U19s, female football postponed

AFL Barwon has postponed the return of under 19 competitions and women’s football in line with state government directions following a recent spike in COVID-19 cases.

The organisation on Saturday announced training for the competitions, initially scheduled for Monday, July 13, would not go ahead.

AFL Barwon also abandoned its plans to resume under 19 football and netball on August 1 and senior female football on August 2.

The decision followed Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Professor Brett Sutton announcing a halt to all full-contact training and competition across Victoria.

Prior to the announcement, the state government had scheduled for full-contact training and competition, for people 19 or older, to resume on July 13 and 20 respectively in regional Victoria.

But with a significant increase in coronavirus cases in Melbourne, and active cases present in some regional communities, Professor Sutton determined that sport in regional Victoria must remain non-contact.

“This decision will be tough for many regional Victorian clubs and communities and it was not taken lightly,” Community Sport Minister Ros Spence said in statement.

“But [the decision] is essential to slow the spread of coronavirus and save lives.

“In better news for many of our regions, full training and competition for players aged 18 and under can continue.

“Further easing of restrictions, including target dates, will be considered by Professor Sutton by the end of July.

“The Victorian Government will continue to work with the sport and recreation sector to explore recovery options and help clubs return to play when it is safe to do so.”

The Sport and Recreation Return to Play Expert Advisory Panel is reviewing return to play plans and providing advice to state sporting associations.

The panel has reviewed more than 90 plans from the association and another 60 from clubs to date, according to government.

State government has spent $40 million in its Community Sport Sector Short-term Survival Package, to provide more than 5000 clubs across Victoria with a grant of $1000 each.

Further information on the new restrictions is available on the DHHS website.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...