Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsNew surgery hub to relieve hospital pressure

New surgery hub to relieve hospital pressure

Works on the University Hospitals Geelong’s new surgery hub is complete, thanks to the state government’s COVID Catch Up Plan.

Minister for Health Mary-Anne Thomas visited the state’s first regional Rapid Access Hub at the hospital’s Youang Surgery Centre on Thursday, November 23.

Ms Thomas said the $5 million hub would deliver close to 2300 extra procedures, including general, plastic, dental, ear, nose and throat surgeries.

“Our COVID Catch Up Plan is making a real difference, and initiatives like the rapid access hubs will see us continue to get the waiting list down,” she said.

“Geelong’s new surgery hub will help more patients get the care they need sooner and ensure we’re delivering on our long-term plan to deliver more surgery than ever before.”

The hub will feature a new surgery theatre and spaces for patients to recover and relieve pressure on the hospital’s main theatres to help drive down emergency and complex surgery waitlists.

It will allow more than 700 procedures to move out of the main hospital to create more capacity for emergency and planned surgery in the main hospital.

Member for Lara Ella George said the hub would allow locals to get the services they need while getting the best care during and after surgery.

“This new addition to University Hospital Geelong will make a huge difference, allowing thousands more surgeries for thousands of people,” she said.

The Geelong site is the first regional facility under the Rapid Access Hub project to help hospitals streamline services, a key initiative of the state government’s $1.5 billion COVID Catch Up Plan.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...