Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsHouse permit 'bad for port'

House permit ‘bad for port’

City Hall has warned a development approved by the state’s tribunal sets an “undesirable precedent” for the future of Geelong Port.

Developer Camjam secured the approval at Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for a two-dwelling development at North Shore last Tuesday.

The decision comes after council refused a planning permit for 33 The Esplanade in February due to its potential impact on Geelong Port’s functionality and health issues.

City Hall said the dwellings could cause an “undesirable” outcome for the port, which, according to a council report, generates about $400 million of local economic activity annually.

A previous council report noted the plan could result in “further intensification” of residential development on the “sensitive interface” to the port.

“Over time this may end up being several additional dwellings which do have the potential to increase the number of people residing near heavy industrial uses,” it read.

“The cumulative impact of intensifying development in this area has the real potential to constrain the ongoing operation (and) development of the commercial port.

“It creates pressures to limit the port’s size, its nature and operational hours.”

But Geelong Port did not object to the initial plans, stating in an email the proposed developments were “complementary to the residential area at North Shore”, VCAT heard.

Senior VCAT member Jeanette Rickards said the proposed dwellings would be “unlikely” to cause any additional constraints to the ongoing operation and development of the port.

“If it was of concern that the increased development would have an impact on the future potential of the port, we would expect the port to not be supportive of the proposal.”

Ms Rickards determined the application was “in line” with council planning controls for the area and issued the permit, with construction to begin in the next two years.

The previous buildings on the site were demolished mid-last year after it sold for $1.17 million in 2017, according to various real estate websites.

The approval comes after Victorian Regional Channels Authority chief Michael Harvey last year warned residential and commercial developments could cut off access to the port.

Development too close to the port could lead to harmful curfews and limits on truck movements and size, harming businesses already operating on fine margins, he explained.

In 2016/2017 13.5 million tonnes of cargo, worth $7.8 billion, passed through the port generating $570 million for the economy and supporting 1700 jobs, according to Mr Harvey.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...