Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsLabor commits to Healthdirect expansion

Labor commits to Healthdirect expansion

Labor has announced it will undertake a $200-million expansion and rebranding of Australia’s national telehealth advice service if re-elected to government.

The Albanese government pledged to improve existing Healthdirect services and expand them to every state and territory under a consistent national service.

The changes would mean free 24-hour health advice and an afterhours GP telehealth service via 1800 MEDICARE, which would be launched on January 1, 2026.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese made the announcement on Sunday, with Member for Corangamite Libby Coker echoing his statements on Monday.

“When illness or injury strikes in your family, 1800MEDICARE will be there, a 24/7 health advice line and afterhours GP telehealth service, backed by Medicare” Ms Coker said.

“Only a Labor Government will deliver stronger Medicare for local communities across our region with more bulk billing and more free urgent care.”

The funding will also be used to open 50 more Medicare Urgent Care Clinics, including one in Torquay.

The GP telehealth service is not intended to replace existing primary care, but to provide urgent assistance when a regular GP is not available, Health Minister Mark Butler said.

“With Medicare Urgent Care Clinics and 1800MEDICARE, free urgent care will be a 20-minute drive away for 4 in 5 Australians, and a phone call away for every Australian,” Mr Butler said.

“Around 250,000 Australians will avoid an unnecessary trip to a hospital emergency department, because of the free urgent GP care provided by 1800MEDICARE.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...