Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsFamily seeks to bring alleged murder victim's body to South Sudan

Family seeks to bring alleged murder victim’s body to South Sudan

A campaign to bring the body of allegedly-murdered Highton woman Natalina Angok to her ancestral homeland has raised more than $19,000.

Ms Angok’s family created a fundraising page to fly her remains to South Sudan for a “final tribute by her father and relatives who have not seen her in years”.

“Natalina Angok was our sister, our daughter, our cousin, our friend,” her family wrote on the page.

“Natalina was a generous and kind girl, her selfless, friendly, loving and humble character has always drawn people to her.”

“She would always seek the happiness of others. We still can’t believe we won’t see her again.”

The campaign had raised $19,000 on Monday morning, after more than 250 people attended two vigils for Ms Angok over the weekend.

About 200 mourners gathered at Federation Square on Sunday to pay tribute to Ms Angok, whose body was discovered in Melbourne’s Chinatown last Wednesday.

They clasped flowers in her favourite colour pink and her family wiped back tears as they addressed the crowd, The Age reported.

“We cannot blame anyone, we just put her in the hand of God,” her aunt Teresa Kau said.

“All we can do is live in peace … to try and find some peace.”

Another of her aunts, Monica Aleu, said Ms Angok’s mother was killed in the Sudanese civil war and her younger siblings had been relying on her for support.

“I want this sent to the government. We didn’t bring our children here to come and die,” said.

“We didn’t flee war for our children to be killed like chicken on the street … us Sudanese mothers don’t know what to do.”

Police arrested Ms Angok’s boyfriend Christopher Bell, 32, last Wednesday and charged him murder.

Mr Bell, from Cowes in Phillip Island, appeared before Melbourne Magistrates’ Court last Friday for a brief filing hearing.

A magistrate remanded him in custody to appear for a committal mention on 30 August.

Mr Bell had appeared the day before at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court, which heard he was a schizophrenic.

He had been released from an inpatient facility a week earlier and been unmedicated for some time, the court heard.

To donate visit www.gofundme.com/memorial-fund-for-natalina-angok.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...