Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsCouncil announces 'budget pain'

Council announces ‘budget pain’

Greater Geelong council has released its draft budget for 2023-24, which would see a number of works and projects scaled back or shelved indefinitely.

Twenty-five capital works projects have been cut in the draft while a number of community programs and events sponsorships have not been renewed.

The Geelong Major Events budget has been reduced by $300,000 to $930,000 and the free second-hour parking trial has been discontinued.

Council plans to introduce a number of new fees around planning and permit applications and city services.

The tone of Wednesday night’s council meeting was heavy as councillors cited inflation and rising costs as the main causes behind what Geelong deputy mayor Anthony Aitken called a necessary “tighten(ing) of the belt”.

“This is the toughest and most challenging budget I’ve ever seen,” Cr Aiken said.

“This budget’s been developed at a period of time where we’re witnessing economic and financial volatility not experienced since the 1991-92 recession.

“We are dealing with inflation, which has just been announced today, of seven per cent, unprecedented cost escalations in our capital program and rate-capping, which is restricting Council’s capacity to raise revenue to match the escalating costs we are facing.

“What we’re dealing with is we don’t have enough money for the services and the projects we would like to deliver.”

While Council had forecast a budget surplus this year, it now faces a deficit of $8 million, which Cr Aitken called a “wake-up call for the administration, the councillors and now… the community”.

“Council has been presented with the forecast recently that…if we just continued in the operating environment that we have at the City of Geelong, we would face a $20 million deficit,” Cr Aitken said.

“Our four-year capital works program needed an additional $135 million just to deliver the same amount of projects we announced last year.

“The reality is, we cannot afford that additional money. To try and do (so) would be irresponsible of the Council, and would (have) a significant impact on the long-term financial sustainability of the Geelong council.

“The budget will be received with disappointment by some members of our community.

“But the pain is trying to be spread across the board, with no section of Council immune to the belt-tightening.”

Cr Aitken said Council had requested a rolling six-month review of its financial position, with an intention to bring back paused projects when possible.

“This procedural mechanism has been established to provide hope to the community and also hope to the Council group to fulfil our responsibilities to the community,” Cr Aitken said.

“I call this ‘the hope clause’ of the 2023-24 budget.”

The proposed budget is available for community feedback until 5pm on Wednesday, May 24 at yoursay.geelongaustralia.com.au/2023-24-BRRP.

All submissions will be considered before the final budget is presented to Council for consideration at its June 27 meeting.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

Out and about

More News

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...

Community digs deep for defib

Regional stakeholders have banded together to provide life-saving equipment to the Jan Juc community. A new automated external defibrillator (AED), donated by a local primary...

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...