Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsPrams to join climate rally

Prams to join climate rally

Senior Extinction Rebellion activists plan to push empty prams across Geelong on Friday protesting a “failure” to act on the “impending climate catastrophe”.

The activist grannies would march from Federal Corio MP Richard Marles’ office to City Hall protesting Labor’s and council’s “climate policy failures”, organiser Erica Hunt said.

“The ALP has abandoned its grassroots, it has sold out to big coal and has joined the LNP in climate double speak,” she said.

“It’s buddying up to the government with policies which fail to recognise the true urgency of the climate emergency.

“Our march symbolises that we need to act now for the sake of future generations in Geelong and across the world.”

The protesters planned to target Mr Marles’ office over what they claimed was his “support” of Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s “call to criminalise non-violent climate protests”.

“Any such crackdown is anti-democratic and concerned citizens need to stand up and make our voices heard,” the group’s Tristan Drake said.

The group also planned to target City Hall after council voted 6-5 against declaring a climate change emergency in September.

“The Geelong council turned its back on science and the community,” Mr Drake said.

“With hundreds of fires raging across the country since early spring, governments need to acknowledge the threat posed by climate breakdown.”

Mr Marles was reluctant to provide commentary on the group but declared his support for non-violent protest.

“We ask people to use common sense,” he told the Indy.

“People in this country have a right to peaceful protest, but they don’t have a right to endanger the lives of others.”

Extinction Rebellion held a week of disruptive protests in Melbourne beginning on 7 October, including a ‘drown in’ and a large dance in some of the city’s busiest areas.

During an interview on the Today Show earlier this month Mr Marles described some climate protesters as “absolutely indulgent”.

“These are people who are not actually about a cause,” the deputy Labor leader said.

“They’re about engaging in a personal experience at the expense of Australians, in this case Victorians trying to get on with their lives.”

Mr Marles indicated the opposition would consider any proposed legislation by the government to limit protesters’ to damage businesses.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...