Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsPort development rejected by VCAT

Port development rejected by VCAT

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) has again knocked back plans for a multi-level residential and retail development in Portarlington.

It was the second application by the developer to be refused for the 49 Newcombe Street address.

The first was refused by the Minister for Planning following a review by an independent Advisory Committee in 2021. The second was opposed at VCAT by both the City of Greater Geelong and Portarlington Community Association (PCA).

The Tribunal referred to the recently approved Bellarine Peninsula Statement of Planning Policy 2023 (SPP) and considered that the SPP ‘adds gravitas’ to the existing planning policy framework which contain policies ‘seeking to protect the Peninsula’s significant landscapes and respect the low-scale coastal character of its villages’.

VCAT heard submissions and evidence and found that the application was a repeat appeal and that “fatal flaws” identified by an independent Advisory Committee in relation to the previous proposal had not been adequately addressed.

Further, it found that the building would be “visually obtrusive” when viewed from the foreshore reserve and that critical aspects of its design were not high quality.

PCA president Geoff Fary said the organisation was celebrating an important win.

“The PCA undertook extensive consultation with the people of Portarlington and we were aware of the broad swell of opposition to this type of building in that location,” he said.

“This decision adds strength to the argument that development must protect and enhance the characteristics which make Portarlington unique.”

Mr Fary praised Harwood Andrews Lawyers of Geelong for work done pro bono for the Portarlington community.

He said the PCA would continue to campaign to have the site returned to being the public park it used to be.

“The association accepts that the developer should be entitled to fair and reasonable compensation should it return to public ownership,” he said.

“We are seeking help from our state and federal governments to explore avenues to have the site re-established as open parkland cascading down to the waterfront, linking the town centre with the foreshore.”

The 49 Newcombe Street Sub-Committee was formed to coordinate the PC’s campaign.

“We are particularly impressed by the work done by the City of Greater Geelong’s planning department who led the council’s opposition at the previous hearing,” secretary Dr Anne Whisken said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...