Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsJunk food companies targeting children on TikTok

Junk food companies targeting children on TikTok

New research released this week by Deakin University suggests that junk food companies are using a range of strategies to recruit children as online brand ambassadors to market their products.

Researchers from Deakin University’s Global Obesity Centre (GLOBE) conducted an analysis of content posted on the TikTok accounts of 16 top-selling international food and beverage companies.

Their findings show that companies are using marketing strategies that directly appeal to children, such as promoting hashtag challenges that encourage users to create and share content featuring the companies’ products.

These user videos displayed the big brands’ products in an overwhelmingly positive way and had racked up billions of views; videos responding to one of Pepsi’s hashtag challenges had been watched over 100 billion times.

Deakin Associate Professor Kathryn Backholer said these big brands and TikTok were turning users, many of them children, into online marketers for their products.

“This is an incredibly insidious strategy by TikTok and junk food marketing companies,” she said.

“TikTok’s own website describes these challenges as an opportunity for companies to turn TikTok users into their ‘unofficial brand ambassadors’ and we know that many TikTok users are children.”

Lead author of the study, Ruby Brooks, Associate Research Fellow at GLOBE, said these challenges were just one questionable tactic used by food companies to target consumers and children.

“We found that companies are using facial recognition to estimate customers’ age, sex and mood to tailor foods that are shown back to customers on menu boards,” she said.

“These companies predominantly sell unhealthy foods and the use of tactics like these is likely to drive increased selection and consumption of these foods.

Associate Professor Backholer warned that government leadership was critical in protecting children from these exploitative practices.

“Our study highlights the need for greater scrutiny of the actions of these big food companies, but also of the big technology companies that work with food companies,” she said.

“Strong government-led policies to protect children from the harmful impact of unhealthy food marketing are urgently needed. This is about putting our children’s health before industry profits.”

TikTok responded to the research, saying the company had a number of policies in place to safeguard the well-being of its users, especially children.

“The safety of our community is a top priority, which is why we have clear advertising policies on what is and isn’t allowed to be advertised on TikTok,” a TikTok spokesperson said.

“Our policies explicitly state that ads for HFSS foods should not feature a specific call to purchase and should not be aimed at users aged 16 years and under.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...