Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsRoute change for Surf Coast Classic

Route change for Surf Coast Classic

Surf Coast Classic women’s and men’s races will start in Torquay instead of Lorne due to bushfire activity and warm weather forecasts.

The races on Wednesday 28 January and Thursday 29 January will now start and finish in Torquay following consultation with the CFA and local authorities, as fires continue to burn in the Otways.

Race director Scott Sunderland said the decision to change the route was made to maintain the safety of riders, staff, volunteers and spectators.

“These changes allow us to continue delivering high-quality racing while managing the conditions in a safe and controlled way,” he said.

“I would like to thank the CFA, Police, local authorities and our event partners for their close cooperation and timely advice in making this decision.

“With the evolving bushfire situation in the region, relocating the start to Torquay and activating our contingency course is the most responsible and proactive decision.”

Surf Coast Shire Mayor Libby Stapleton said the revised courses retain a great platform for classical one-day racing.

“We encourage people to watch the race along The Esplanade in Torquay…and the home straight near Fishermans Beach will be buzzing,” she said.

“Thanks to the CFA and other authorities for providing race organisers with advice to ensure the event can go ahead safely on an alternative course starting and finishing in Torquay.”

Organisers will continue to work closely with authorities to monitor conditions, with no changes currently planned for any of the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race events on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...