Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsVolunteers wanted for common cold trials

Volunteers wanted for common cold trials

Firebrick Pharma is appealing to adult Geelong residents to participate in a clinical trial of a potential breakthrough treatment for the common cold. Participants will be compensated for their time and expenses incurred in the study.

The Phase 3 trial is being conducted by the Adrian Costa Clinical Trials Centre to test a nasal spray, called Nasodine ® , that has been developed by Australian scientists.

“Victorian residents can be among the first in the world to try Nasodine, which in previous clinical trials has been shown to be safe and well-tolerated. This trial seeks to confirm the efficacy of Nasodine as a treatment for the common cold,” said Firebrick Pharma Executive

Chairman Dr Peter Molloy.

The trial is randomised and placebo-controlled, meaning participants have a 50/50 chance of receiving the active nasal spray medicine or a placebo nasal spray.

All trial participants will be compensated for their time. They will only need to attend one appointment and will then continue the nasal spray treatment regime at home or at work over five days, and complete a total of 14 days of brief electronic reporting of symptoms using a webapp. Participants will be tested for COVID-19 to ensure they have the common cold and not COVID-19.

“We believe Nasodine will be a first-in-class nasal spray medicine in that it actually targets the viral cause of the common cold, where colds start – in the nose,” said Dr Molloy.

People need to have had cold symptoms for less than 36 hours to join the trial. People can also pre-register if they are not sick.

All information and registration details are at commoncoldstudy.com

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...