Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsCouncillors ‘gagged’ by City officials on Gaza

Councillors ‘gagged’ by City officials on Gaza

As thousands are caught in the crossfire in Gaza, City officials have barred Geelong councillors from even discussing the idea of supporting a ceasefire in the war-torn area.

Councillors Sarah Hathway and Jim Mason submitted notices of motion calling for a ceasefire and the return of Hamas hostages, but were disallowed from doing so by Geelong chief executive Ali Wastie.

Cr Hathway said her motion was disallowed on the grounds it was “prejudicial”, an undefined term in council governance rules but used here to mean “anything that may put council officers or councillors at risk”.

“There was a view that if this were discussed in the chambers there was the potential to incite violence,” Cr Hathway said.

“I did try to explore it – I’ll acknowledge my motion was quite lengthy – but it was pretty clearly just shut down, not accepted, no further discussion.”

Similar motions have been passed at other councils around Australia, including the City of Canterbury-Bankstown in Sydney and the City of Merri-bek in Melbourne.

Cr Hathway said the City officials’ decision was not only “baffling” but “undemocratic.

“It wasn’t that long ago that councillors were attending vigils for Ukraine in their capacity as councillors, and rightly so,” she said.

“We lit up City Hall in blue and yellow, we put out statements and that wasn’t deemed to be prejudicial.

“There’s a real sense that this is the issue we can’t talk about.”

Ms Wastie declined to comment but Geelong mayor Trent Sullivan said “there are other options being explored” to acknowledge the Gaza conflict.

“We are all horrified by what is occurring in Israel and Palestine and want to see an end to the suffering as soon as possible,” Mayor Sullivan said.

“The chief executive has made a decision based on council governance rules, which I understand and support.”

Free Palestine Geelong spokespeople Noor Al-Assafi and Yasir Ismat expressed their concern and confusion over the City’s decision to bar discussion on the conflict.

“The community is building stronger to ensure our elected representatives actually represent the concerns of the community and stand up for justice and peace,” they said.

“We invite all Greater Geelong residents to join us as we march for peace and an end to the genocide.”

Free Palestine Geelong’s march begins at noon at Little Malop Street on Saturday, November 25.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...
More News

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...