Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsVietnam vet to light up the dawn

Vietnam vet to light up the dawn

The biggest Viet Cong offensive in the Vietnam War was just beginning as Ken Baker landed in hot, humid Saigon at 5pm on January 29, 1968.

Initially he and other soldiers thought they were hearing celebrations from the Vietnamese Tet holiday marking the Lunar New Year.

But as the noise built into “a crescendo” they realised something was wrong, the Marshall veteran told the Independent.

“It became quite obvious that it was more than that because of the type of explosions – you could see flashes in the distance,” he said.

“I was pretty scared because we hadn’t been issued with any weapons yet – we’d just come off the Qantas flight.

“Just after midnight the word had got out that we were in the middle of something.”

In early hours of January 30, the Tet Offensive had begun with Viet Cong forces simultaneously attacking hundreds of cities and towns in southern Vietnam.

The next day Baker, a 21-year-old medic, flew out to his unit and began triaging soldiers wounded by landmines, rockets and bullets.

“We would get them ready and determine who was first to go into surgery,” he said.

“When you see the damage a landmine can do, it’s pretty horrific. The sight of the damage or missing limbs – it does sort of give you flashbacks at times.”

“It sort of takes the joy out of life when you’ve been through that. But of course, life goes on doesn’t it?

“After they had been treated, they were looking a lot better.”

The Australians also sent out medical and dental teams to nearby villages to win “the hearts and minds” of locals, he said.

Mr Baker also prepared records of the dead to be sent to Australia, and remembered seeing his good friend Lindsay Brown on that list.

Lindsay had died in the Battle of Coral-Balmoral (May 12 to June 6) following a head injury.

“He was in my hut at Puckapunyal for rookie training,” he said.

“I saw his name and it blew me apart – it really was quite devastating.”

As a national serviceman Mr Baker had no choice when he was drafted in 1967, despite being too young to vote at the time.

“I suppose you accepted the fact that your number got drawn and you had to be committed to do it,” he said.

“We took it as part of being a responsible citizen.”

He wrote as often as he could to girlfriend Robyn, who he would marry after returning to Australia in December.

“There was a pretty good cheer when we took off [from Vietnam],” he said.

With Anzac Day services cancelled due to COVID-19, Mr Baker will join veterans across Australia standing in their driveways tomorrow to remember those, like Lindsay, who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

Out and about

More News

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...

Community digs deep for defib

Regional stakeholders have banded together to provide life-saving equipment to the Jan Juc community. A new automated external defibrillator (AED), donated by a local primary...

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...