Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsCall for emerging designers to submit a sustainable outfit

Call for emerging designers to submit a sustainable outfit

Geelong’s emerging designers can showcase their fashion style and commitment to sustainable fashion by submitting an original outfit for a global prize.

The City of Greater Geelong and the National Wool Museum launched the We the Makers Sustainable Fashion Prize this week, with entries open until April 16.

National Wool Museum senior curator Josephine Rout said that this was the second time the prize would be offered after it was first launched in 2020 and would continue as a biennial event.

“We’ve made some slight adjustments and changes this year,” Mrs Rout said.

“The prize is for emerging designers, and we stipulate that they have less than 10 years of industry experience.

“We’re aware that the past few years have been difficult for young designers to establish themselves in the industry.

“It is that financial support that a lot of emerging designers need to help them get into the industry.

“It is very much for people who have a desire to be professional fashion designers,” she said.

Mrs Rout said the prize decision panel would consist of three judges and that people from around the world and of any age could enter.

“There isn’t a particular category (that entries will be judged on) because we don’t want to limit people’s creativity,” she said.

“It will be fun to see what works come out.”

Mrs Rout said that entrants would be judged on the design innovation of their garments and the designer’s sustainable cause.

“Sustainable fashion has many different definitions. It might be under the materials are sustainable, but the production is not ethical,” she said.

“So, it’s not just about the materials that are used, although that’s a major consideration, but their production methods and business model.”

Mrs Rout said the prize was a Geelong UNESCO City of Design Project and would be split up into two parts that began with the prize submissions and concluded with an exhibition.

“There’s the call for entries but then there’s also the exhibition of the top 20 designs that will open at the National War Museum on June 1 and close on October 29,” she said.

“It’s also going to coincide with Geelong design week at the end of October, so we’ll be planning events in public programs around the exhibition.”

Entries will go into the running to win the $10,000 National Wool Museum Designer of the Year Award and the $2000 UNESCO City of Design People’s Choice Award.

Details: wethemakers.com.au

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...
More News

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...