Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNews'Have say' on Highton plan

‘Have say’ on Highton plan

Highton traders have urged locals to have their say before tomorrow’s close of public consultation on alfresco plans that could change the face of the suburb.

More than 300 people have submitted responses so far to the council plans, which some traders believe could “kill” local strip shopping.

Highton Village Traders Association president Mary Petherick urged locals to submit improvements to the plans, rather than “for” or “against” responses.

“I definitely encourage people to take five or ten minutes tomorrow to think of how it could impact upon our future,” she said.

“It will certainly impact traders financially.“

Fellow association member and liquor store owner Tony Nardi said he had spoken to a few people who planned to object to the plans.

“Put your objection in by tomorrow because we have a problem with (the loss of parking) and we need everybody to have their say.”

The call follows a meeting of two dozen Highton Traders earlier this month about the plans.

Geelong’s council released two options to redevelop Highton featuring additional trees, alfresco dining areas, public plazas and bike lanes.

Plans to reduce on-street parking would drive customers away, cafe owner Joe Tripodi told two dozen traders.

“We’ll lose the whole crux of what Highton’s all about … honestly, I think it will kill Highton,” he said.

The traders echoed his sentiment and demanded any plans to develop Highton include a net gain of on-street parking.

The plans are available for comment on council’s ’Your Say’ webpage.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...