Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsMore than 100 fines issued by Surf Coast police

More than 100 fines issued by Surf Coast police

Police have issued more than 100 infringement notices for driving offences across the Surf Coast and the Great Ocean Road as part of an operation targeting day trippers from Melbourne.

The three-week operation focused on reducing serious road trauma as traffic increased on regional roads following the easing of Melbourne’s travel restrictions last month.

Geelong and Colac Highway Patrol officers, with support from uniform police, issued a total of 124 infringement notices between October 22 and November 14, including 77 for speeding – nabbing an average of around three speeding drivers per day.

On one occasion, police pulled over an 18-year-old man from Grovedale who had allegedly been travelling at 172km/h in a 100km/h zone along Surf Coast Highway, Torquay with three passengers on board.

They also stopped a 34-year-old man from Point Cook who was allegedly travelling at 122km/h in an 80km/h zone on the Great Ocean Road in Bellbrae with two infants and a woman on board.

Police also caught two drivers who were allegedly under the influence of drugs, including a 42-year-old man from Curlewis and a 34-year-old man from Sunshine.

Other offences detected included driving while using a mobile phone, driving an unregistered vehicle, driving while not wearing a seatbelt and driving while suspended.

Police tested 168 drivers for alcohol with preliminary roadside breath tests but none returned a positive result.

Surf Coast Police acting senior sergeant Stephan Bull said ensuring drivers were staying safe on the roads would be a police priority over the summer.

“The vast majority of motorists were acting responsibly and safely behind the wheel, however it only takes one speeding or inebriated driver to lead to devastating consequences,” he said.

“Police will maintain a sharp focus on rural and tourist destination roads over the coming months, ensuring that all motorists get to their destination in a safe manner without putting themselves or other road users at risk.

“To all those who dare to take risks behind the wheel – these selfish and dangerous decisions could very likely cost you your life or the life of another person.

“Consider yourself very lucky if you get off with a fine.”

The road safety blitz came as the state’s road toll has reached 209 lives lost in 2021, an increase from 191 at the same time last year.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...