Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsVaccine roll-out to ramp up

Vaccine roll-out to ramp up

Health authorities are preparing to ramp up COVID-19 vaccinations in Geelong, with federal government expecting a million Pfizer doses arriving each week until late August.

“At this stage, Barwon Health is waiting on confirmation of vaccine supply, and more bookings will become available once this is confirmed,” Barwon South West Public Health Unit director Professor Eugene Athan said.

“Our daily capacity [at the Norlane vaccination hub] continues to be 2400 people; however, this is based on supply.”

Almost one million doses arrived in Australia earlier this week, including more than 800,000 in Sydney and almost 100,000 each in Melbourne and Perth.

The public health unit has so far delivered more than 130,000 doses across the Barwon South West region, including both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines.

“Local GPs have also provided AstraZeneca and Pfizer doses through their general practices,” Professor Athan said.

“We are very pleased with how our community has responded to the vaccination roll-out.”

Professor Athan urged locals over the age of 60 who are yet to get vaccinated to do so, with supplies of the AstraZeneca vaccine available.

“There has been a strong demand for vaccinations with an increase in walk-ins and bookings for people over the age of 60 for AstraZeneca vaccinations,” he said.

“Our Pfizer vaccination sessions are being targeted to high-risk workers of any age such as healthcare workers, including aged care and disability workers.”

The Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) states that the benefits of the AstraZeneca vaccine outweigh the risks for people aged 60 and older.

The vaccine is available for people under 60 following an assessment of suitability by a qualified health professional.

But the ATAGI still recommends Pfizer as the preferred vaccine for people under 60.

Walk-in vaccinations are currently available to anyone over the age of 60 at Barwon Health’s mass vaccination hub at the old Ford Factory in Norlane.

Health Minister Greg Hunt indicated on Tuesday that the Pfizer rollout would not be extended to under 40s due to supply, despite the newly fast-tracked shipments.

“At this point in time we’re working through the 40 to 59 age group,” he told a press conference.

To book, phone the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398 or visit portal.cvms.vic.gov.au

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

New project blooms

More News

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....