Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsColac outbreak prompts calls for info speed-up

Colac outbreak prompts calls for info speed-up

An outbreak at Colac’s Australian Lamb Company abattoir has driven a surge in COVID-19 cases from zero to 26 in just four days in the area.

The Colac Otway Shire last Friday recorded its first two cases since the pandemic began, both from the outbreak, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.

The shire’s active cases had increased to 27 by midnight on Monday, before the department revised the figure to 26 the next day.

The department has linked 29 cases to the outbreak so far, including cases outside the shire.

Local opposition MP Richard Riordan urged the department to speed up its release of useful information for Colac Otway Shire amid the increase.

“There is no point having all the data sit on a laptop in Melbourne,” the Member for Polwarth said on Monday.

“The Colac community has a right to know how many people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and what the contact-tracing regime will be.”

The department currently provides local government data from the previous day, but Mr Riordan said that was not soon enough amid the outbreak.

“The largest employer and the largest school in our community had positive cases confirmed over 72 hours ago and still no information has been forthcoming,” he said.

“[But] I am confident that with the right departmental support, which has been sadly lacking since the disclosure of a positive case in Colac, we can get through this challenging event.”

A government spokesperson said the department was working closely with Australian Lamb Company, Colac Area Health and Barwon Health to manage the outbreak.

The two health providers and the department were organising testing for all staff and anyone identified as close contacts, the spokesperson said.

“Our newly-established public health team at Barwon Health is playing a key role in this outbreak, helping with case management and contact tracing for the cases in Colac.”

A small number of staff who had not been in contact with any of the current cases and worked in different areas were moving perishable products into cool storage, the spokesperson said.

Confirmed cases in a student from Trinity College Colac and a contractor from Midfields abattoir in Warrnambool are also linked to this outbreak.

The college closed due to the case and had been scheduled to reopen today.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...