By Luke Voogt
A fire at a Clifton Springs property on Sunday has prompted a local CFA captain to warn that restrictions are still in place.
Firefighters took about 10 minutes to contain the fire after receiving a callout about 5.05pm, according to Drysdale Fire Brigade captain Brendan MacDonald.
“It was started by a burn-off being conducted on the property which police are investigating,” he said.
“It certainly wasn’t suspicious. It was just a little shed out the back which caught fire.”
Mr MacDonald said the blaze at the Whitcombes Road property provided a timely reminder, amid coronavirus panic, not to ignore ongoing fire restrictions.
“It still is a fire danger period and fire restrictions are in force.”
He warned property owners and farmers against burning off during the fire danger period.
“It’s always a danger [that burn-offs can get out of control] and that’s why the fire danger period is in force.”
The Independent received an unconfirmed report that a gas bottle exploded during the fire showering a neighbour’s property with shrapnel.
Mr MacDonald confirmed an explosion occurred but said he and firefighters that extinguished the flames found no evidence of an exploded gas bottle.
“There was one explosion – it was something that was in the shed,” he said.
“There was a beer keg in the shed so that was quite possibly what it was.”
Six trucks from Drysdale, Wallington, Ocean Grove and Geelong fire brigades rushed to the site to put out the fire, Mr MacDonald said.