Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsShots available as flu cases increase

Shots available as flu cases increase

Barwon Health is encouraging people across the region to get the flu shot as cases, including young people, continue to rise.

Flu cases have increased by 10 per cent in the Barwon South West over the past seven days from Monday, July 15, with cases up by 13 per cent from July 2023.

Barwon Health Department of Infectious Diseases director Professor Daniel O’Brien said children aged five to 11 represented the highest number of cases this year.

“Serious complications and further infections can also occur in the weeks after illness, so see your GP if you aren’t getting better,” he said.

“It’s not too late to have your flu shot. We urge anyone in the community who is able to receive the flu vaccine to get vaccinated as soon as possible.

“Especially very young children, the elderly or those with medical conditions that put them at risk, such as those involving the lung or immune system.

“It’s also important to know that if you think you may have the flu and have medical conditions that put you at risk, or if you are very unwell, then contact your GP as there are treatments available.”

Barwon Health Emergency Services director Doctor Belinda Hibble said getting vaccinated was the best way to prevent getting a severe illness from the flu.

“Influenza is a highly contagious viral infection that can cause severe illness and life-threatening complications,” she said.

“We are seeing a spike in hospitalisations for flu at University Hospital Geelong, with patients presenting across all ages.”

Flu vaccinations are available at GPs or local pharmacies, with bookings also available through Barwon Health’s Immunisation Program and are free for eligible groups.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...