Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsDriving education program extended

Driving education program extended

Geelong learner drivers on the road to a permanent licence will have continued access to a supervising driver or appropriate vehicle.

The L2P driver education program’s contract had been renewed through to June 30 next year by the City of Greater Geelong and Transport Accident Commission.

People aged 16 to 21, and up to 23 in some circumstances, can use the program to complete close to 500 hours of supervised driving practice each month through volunteer support.

Greater Geelong Mayor Trent Sullivan said the community-based program had been developed to assist young drivers in gaining the experience needed for a probationary license.

“Young people need both a safe vehicle and an experienced mentor as they undertake the time-consuming challenge of gaining their driver’s licence,” he said.

“Drawing on the assistance of many partners, we are fortunate to have a great band of volunteers teaching good driving habits and road safety.”

Councillor Ron Nelson said the program had benefited from the help of many organisations, including the Lara District Community Bank and the Geelong and Highton Rotary Clubs.

“We’re grateful for all of the support from organisations and volunteers who assist young people across Greater Geelong to gain those vital 120 hours of supervised driving,” he said.

Community Bank Bellarine also recently provided the program with a second car, and community engagement manager Chris Niven said the organisation was glad to help the region’s youth.

“This is the second car we’ve provided in our ongoing 10-year partnership, supporting local youth who need a vehicle and a volunteer mentor to help them obtain their driver’s licence,” he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...