Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsPlans for historic cottage

Plans for historic cottage

Marshall’s 155-year-old bluestone cottage has almost disappeared as specialist contractors dismantle the historic building following a community campaign to save it from demolition.

Initially Major Road Projects Victoria had planned to demolish the cottage to make way for the Barwon Heads Road duplication and reuse some materials to build “heritage interpretive works”, which campaigners labelled a “zombie memorial”.

But Marshall Bluestone Cottage Community Group’s 800-person petition convinced the road authority to instead dismantle and completely rebuild the cottage elsewhere.

“There’s been such a groundswell of support … of people that want the cottage rebuilt and repurposed,” group president Virginia Johnson said.

The group is calling for the building to be relocated to JF Field Park, diagonally opposite to its current location.

The duplication and improved cycling and walking paths will increase access to the historic cottage, according to Ms Johnson.

“It’s a highly visible site, just like where it is now, it’s got great access and it keeps the heritage factors intact,” she said.

Contractors have removed and stored slate, bricks and bluestone blocks to rebuild the cottage, which Ms Johnson said could become a gateway to more than 20 historic sites across Marshall and Charlemont.

In June Geelong council voted unanimously to investigate new locations for the cottage with council officers to present a report by December.

The cottage could also serve as a gallery, a mini museum, a school excursion destination and, if rebuilt in time, a venue for Geelong Design Week next September, according to Ms Johnson.

“We would love that,” she said.

“There are so many creatives seeking a venue to showcase their designs.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

School bus concerns

More News

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...

Community digs deep for defib

Regional stakeholders have banded together to provide life-saving equipment to the Jan Juc community. A new automated external defibrillator (AED), donated by a local primary...