Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsCouncil confirms Anzac Day March

Council confirms Anzac Day March

Anzac Day marches in Geelong, Norlane and on the Bellarine will go ahead on Sunday after receiving final approval from council.

Council listed five marches in Geelong and on the Bellarine on its Anzac Day webpage this week, confirming the events for Sunday.

The Geelong march begins at 11am on Malop Street, near Yarra Street, turning left into Gheringhap Street and right into Johnstone Park to conclude at Geelong Peace Memorial.

Only former and current service people can march and crowds must disperse at the conclusion.

The confirmation of the march comes after the Independent earlier this month revealed Geelong RSL had submitted paperwork for the event.

RSL president Andrew Hann then praised the sub-branch’s commemorations officer Mark Lee, who spent months working with Victoria Police, council and health authorities to organise the event.

“I’ve got to take my hat off to him for what he’s doing – blokes like that get these things happening,” he said.

A former army reservist and current Victoria Police senior sergeant, Mr Lee served as a policeman in Timor Leste, the Middle East and Solomon Islands.

He estimated about 500 veterans and ADF members would take part in the march and encouraged them to register early.

“We’re encouraging marchers to contact the RSL prior,” he said.

“They can do that in person or if they’re part of a contingent, that contingent can supply a list of names to the RSL.”

Veterans requiring assistance can march with one carer or family member.

The Norlane march begins at 9.30am on the corner of Sparks Road and Princess Freeway service lane, turning right into Rose Avenue and concluding at Norlane RSL.

In Drysdale veterans will step off at 10.30am at Princess Street near Everlsey Street. The march proceeds along Princess Street to conclude at the Drysdale cenotaph.

Ocean Grove veterans will march along The Terrace beginning at 9.45am, turning into Presidents Avenue and then The Avenue before concluding at the town’s cenotaph.

The Portarlington march begins at the RSL on Harding Street at 11am.

Marchers will turn onto Newcomb Street and Brown Street before returning along Newcomb Street to conclude at Portarlington cenotaph.

Geelong council will install commemorative banners across the region and will lower flags on City Hall and other buildings.

The catenary lights at intersection of Moorabool and Malop streets will also turn red to commemorate the day.

Moving projections at City Hall, beginning tonight, will pay tribute to the ANZACS from 6pm to 11pm until Sunday.

Geelong locals can also browse the regions’s digitised World War I honour boards online at geelonghonoursthem.grlc.vic.gov.au.

“There will be a number of events to choose from that are close to home, providing a meaningful and COVID-safe way to remember those who served,” a council spokesperson said.

The dawn services at Eastern Beach and Barwon Heads and the Boer War memorial service are cancelled.

For details or to register for the Geelong march phone 5249 2444.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...
More News

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...