Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsBurner 'could fix waste crisis'

Burner ‘could fix waste crisis’

Geelong could become home to an incinerator turning rubbish into electricity, which a local MP says might solve the city’s recycling crisis.

Council had been investigating a combined waste-to-energy plant with Ballarat and Wyndham for a year now, Mayor Bruce Harwood said.

“A waste-to-energy facility would be an economic driver and create local employment, so we’d be very keen to see any future plant built within our region,” he said.

“If not within our region, we would certainly want it close by to minimise our transport costs.”

A municipal partnership would create the scale required to make waste-to-energy viable for a private operator, he said.

Cr Harwood raised the concept with Victorian Energy Minister Lily D’Ambrosio last week, he said.

“These facilities have huge potential but are not cheap and would need funding from the State Government,” he said.

A nearly $700 million waste-to-energy facility is under construction in Perth, while Environment Protection Authority Victoria is assessing an application for a plant at Laverton North.

Australian Paper has approval for a $600 million waste-to-energy plant in Gippsland.

Cr Harwood said an incinerator could reduce Geelong’s reliance on landfill and produce “environmentally-positive” electricity with modern pollution-filtering technology.

The plant would not be a “substitute for recycling” and State Government still needed to invest in recovery facilities, sorting and a container deposit scheme, he said.

But Member for Western Victoria Bev McArthur said the plant was an “obvious solution” for Victoria’s recycling “emergency”.

“I cannot understand why Victoria, given both our energy and waste crises … would not be rushing to facilitate projects of this type.”

Geelong could burn the statewide backlog of unsorted recycling following the closure of processor SKM and China’s refusal to continue importing the waste, the Liberal MP said.

“Rather than burying our waste in the ground and exporting it to less developed nations, we could use it in a more efficient manner.”

Some materials could be recycled only a certain amount of times, Ms McArthur added.

More than $500 million “sitting” in State Government’s sustainability fund from taxing landfill could pay for a large plant to burn rubbish from Melbourne and Geelong manufacturing sites, she said.

Ms McArthur recently visited a Danish council-run incinerato that was turning a “considerable profit”, she said.

Ms D’Ambrosio said waste-to-energy technology had “a role to play” in avoiding landfill.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...
More News

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...

Geelong wins Country Week title

Geelong won a second consecutive Provincial Division title at Melbourne Country Week after dropping its first game against Ballarat and then going on a...

Rec Fest in Golden Plains

The Active Golden Plains Sport and Rec Fest is coming to Golden Plains to generate awareness of activities available in Golden Plains. Community...

Further bonus for Ioniq 5

The Ioniq 5 burst onto the local electric vehicle scene more than three years ago like the greyhound favourite out of a trap at...