Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsPolice calls for troubled mall

Police calls for troubled mall

Teens “running amok” in Little Malop St Mall have prompted state opposition to renew calls for a permanent police presence in the trouble hotspot.

Shadow police minister David Southwick visited the mall recently “only to see teenagers running amok and finding distraught traders facing regular fights, theft and damage to their shops”.

“We need a permanent police presence in the mall and a different approach to help our youth,” he said.

“The Andrews Labor Government is failing our community when young people aren’t in school or working but hanging around and causing trouble in public areas.

“Unless Daniel Andrews puts some effort and energy into those young people they will end up becoming hardened criminals in the future.”

During Mr Southwick’s visit small business workers and owners told him customers were afraid to visit the area, he said.

Liberal Member for Western Victoria Bev McArthur in parliament last Friday repeated calls for a stronger police presence.

“These problems are not new, but if Geelong is to have a thriving city centre, this particular crime issue must be solved,” she said.

But Police Minister Lisa Neville said “targeted operations” had turned around the “issues occurring in the mall”.

“Perhaps Bev McArthur would benefit from a briefing from the local police.”

Police had “invested significant resources” including 24-hour CCTV monitoring, mounted patrols and specialist youth workers to fight crime in the mall, Ms Neville said.

“I have been regularly briefed on the work Victoria Police are undertaking and I want to thank them for the dedicated resources and efforts they have put into the mall.”

Protective Services Officers were also patrolling nearby bus stops thanks to new government legislation, Ms Neville said.

State Government had funded an additional 91 officers in Geelong that police were deploying “where and when they are needed”, Ms Neville said.

“We have given them the resources they need and I trust their judgement on how best to utilise those police to keep our community safe.”

The mall has long been notorious for violent behaviour.

But earlier this year a TV segment featuring multiple brawls brought national attention to the troubled area.

Last month police launched a much-publicised operation to crack down on crime in the mall.

Some community leaders have suggested spreading Moorabool St bus stops across central Geelong to help revatilise the area.

Others have suggested replacing the mall with car parking.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...