Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsCommittee CEO 'disappointed'

Committee CEO ‘disappointed’

Committee for Geelong CEO Michael Johnston said he was “disappointed to learn of the cancellation of the Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games”.

The Games, to be held in regional Victoria, including Greater Geelong, was scrapped by Premier Daniel Andrews on Tuesday due to escalating costs associated with the event.

“This represented a unique opportunity to showcase Geelong on a global stage, boost our visitor economy, and deliver a range of legacy benefits for the region,” Mr Johnston said.

“Those local businesses who had already spent considerable time and effort in tendering will have been dealt a double blow by this news.

“The announcement of a $2 billion Region Fund in its place is welcome, and it is pleasing to hear Geelong will continue to receive the legacy infrastructure benefits the Games promised to deliver. In particular, the creation of more affordable housing is desperately needed, and we would be hopeful that additional dwellings can be added.”

Mr Johnston said it was also positive for residents in the city’s southern growth corridor, with the Armstrong Creek Aquatic Centre, Waurn Ponds indoor sport facility, and hockey pitch at Torquay to be completed (along with the upgrade to the Stead Park hockey facility in Norlane).

“With regards to the construction of the housing and sporting infrastructure, there are some important questions that need to be addressed,” he said.

“What is the timing? The Games provided a firm deadline. Without that deadline, we seek assurances that these projects are not delayed.

“The other question is whether local businesses will be prioritised through the procurement process? This was a key component of the Victoria 2026 procurement approach and provided Geelong businesses access to significant Government work. It is imperative on the Government to maintain this approach, and support local businesses in supplying the legacy projects. We have the skills and talent here. Use it.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Hoodie resilience inspires

There are two pairs of hooded plovers along Buckley Park Foreshore that have two chicks each. One pair, PL (orange) and unbanded, have a habitat...

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...