Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsLocal recycling heads for tip after handler 'closes'

Local recycling heads for tip after handler ‘closes’

Local recycling waste will go to landfill after the company handling the material “temporarily” closed its Geelong site today, City Hall has announced.

SKM Recycling closed the facility at 5pm after reaching “maximum storage capacity”, a City Hall statement said.

“There has been an increased stockpiling of plastics at this site since the temporary closure of SKM Laverton, where Geelong’s plastic recyclables are usually sent for processing,” the statement said.

“EPA Victoria issued SKM Laverton with a notice to stop accepting materials last Friday due to non-compliance with stockpile regulations.

“The City of Greater Geelong’s kerbside waste and recycling collection program will continue, with all bins to be collected as usual.

“As an interim measure, recyclable materials will be sent to landfill until SKM Laverton is able to receive materials again.

City Hall expected normal recycling to resume with SKM Geelong in “coming weeks”, the statement said.

“While most collection trucks will continue to separate recycling and waste, some trucks on rural routes may be required to temporarily consolidate waste and recycling.”

Council’s city services director urged residents to “continue sorting their household waste and recycling correctly”.

“SKM Recycling (is) working with EPA Victoria to achieve compliance and resume processing recycling as quickly as possible,” Guy Wilson-Browne said..

“It is more important than ever to dispose of your waste and recycling responsibly and where possible, reduce your overall waste as much as possible.

“While this is an unfortunate situation, protecting community health and safety is the number-one priority.”

SKM’s local closure comes a day after a local newspaper report that the company would continue receiving recycling waste “despite a looking kerbside crisis”

Australian recyclers have been struggling to manage growing waste piles since China stopped importing recyclable materials last year.

Other Victorian collection companies and sites have also stopped accepting recycling, forcing client councils to dump the waste in landfills.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...