Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsBodybuilder spared conviction for road rage incident

Bodybuilder spared conviction for road rage incident

A Geelong bodybuilder, who shot to fame portraying a young Arnold Schwarzenegger, has been spared a conviction after he stabbed a car tyre in a fit of rage.

Three-time Mr Universe winner Calum von Moger appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday where he learned his fate over a road rage incident earlier this year.

The 32-year-old, who resides in Geelong and appeared in court with his girlfriend, pleaded guilty to criminal damage charges over an altercation following a car accident in Melbourne’s Altona North on January 26.

After causing damage to the other driver’s vehicle, von Moger stabbed the victim’s car tyre, the court heard.

Magistrate Roslyn Porter said his conduct was “frightening and totally unacceptable”, but accepted a psychologist’s report which described his deteriorating mental health at the time.

He also pleaded guilty to criminal damage over an earlier incident, where he left the scene after an accident without providing his details to the other driver.

Other charges, including drug and weapon offences, were withdrawn, the court heard.

Von Moger starred as Schwarzenegger in the 2018 film Bigger.

The court heard he suffered from post-traumatic stress and adjustment disorders, and his mental health had deteriorated since 2018.

His lawyer Bernard Campigli said von Moger did not want to be handed a criminal conviction as it could harm future career opportunities in America.

“He does have potential business opportunities in America, he is largely reliant on that income. I can’t give that figure, but Mr von Moger does have the prospect of future employment,” he said.

Ms Porter gave von Moger a $2500 fine with no criminal conviction.

She placed him on a 12-month good behaviour undertaking and he must continue to participate in mental health treatment.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...