Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsUpgrading Fischer Street

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week.

Road closures at the Fischer Street and Merrijig Drive intersection will be in effect during stage two works, which will begin on Monday 23 February, with local access available.

Surf Coast Shire councillor Liz Pattison said the upgrades formed part of council’s commitment to upgrading the connection between central and north Torquay.

“The changes aim to improve safety for everyone using Fischer Street, whether they’re riding to school, walking to the shops, or driving to work,” she said.

“Fischer Street was identified as a high-risk corridor for pedestrians and cyclists during the development of council’s Safer Cycling Strategy in 2023.

“We appreciate the community’s patience during construction and encourage everyone to follow signage and detour routes while works are underway.”

Stage two upgrades will include new raised pedestrian crossings on Fischer Street, near Yirn Avenue, and on the Merrijig Drive legs of the Merrijig Drive and Fischer Street roundabout.

Works will also feature a new speed hump on Merrijig Drive, between Yallock Circuit and Scott Avenue, changed to a raised pedestrian crossing and a new cycling lane on Fischer Street between Centreside Drive and Merrijig Drive on the west side.

Stage three upgrades will also commence after Easter, and further information about the traffic impacts of works will be communicated once the traffic plans are approved.

Visit surfcoast.vic.gov.au/FischerStreetWorks for more information and project updates.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...
More News

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...