Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsMore input needed for iconic Osborne

More input needed for iconic Osborne

More than 80 people responded to plans for Geelong Osborne House’s future this month, after critics labelled the concepts “vague”.

Council received 81 responses to its survey on its Osborne Park Precinct Draft Concept Plan.

But Osborne Park Community Association president Cheryl Scott described the window for comment as unsatisfactory.

“They selected only a three-week period for responses to the survey which included school holidays, Easter and Anzac Day,” she said.

“They’ve had things up on their Your Say website for a lot longer than that. The building’s future has been an issue since Geelong’s council amalgamation in 1993!”

The iconic building had a “very important national and Geelong history” and deserved more public input into its future, Ms Scott said.

“Half of Geelong still doesn’t even know where it is.

“We are all trying to get a great outcome for what is an iconic Geelong building. It could be an amazing tourism drawcard if it’s given the right treatment.”

Council received a further seven submissions responding to the plans from groups like Corio Bay Camera Club, Geelong Museum Association and Geelong and District Vietnam Veterans Association

Ms Scott expected the majority to be negative. “I think there were several elements of the plan people were unhappy with,” she said.

Council in June 2018 moved to complete a master plan for Osborne Park by December with consultation from groups.

The intent of the original motion had been to examine specific uses for Osborne House, Ms Scott said.

But council officers instructed consultants to devise plans for an entire precinct larger than Osborne Park instead, she said.

“There was absolutely nothing in the draft concept plan as to what would happen with the buildings, which was what everyone in the community groups wanted to know about.”

City Hall’s corporate services director Michael Dugina assured ratepayers they would get another say when council reviews the precinct master plan in June.

“The engagement for this project commenced in December 2018 and will continue through to July 2019 and beyond.”

The submissions and survey would assist in developing the masterplan, Mr Dugina said.

“The draft concept plan is intended to provide high level ambitions for the precinct,” he said, in response to criticisms of vagueness.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...
More News

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...

Pickleball opens up

Pickleball is set to make a racket thanks to the official opening of a new outdoor venue in Portarlington this week. Drysdale...

The power of creativity (and robots)

Jolyon James’ stage show Robot Song centres on the story of a young autistic child, Juniper, struggling to find her place in the world. A...

Guitar legend amps up for tour

Nathan Cavaleri comes to Geelong this weekend as part of a 18-show tour of his new album Live at the Wheaty. Hailed as a blues-rock...

Grove cements top spot

Ocean Grove cemented its place at the top of Section 4 Mixed with a commanding 6-0 win over second placed Surfcoast Torquay in Tennis...