Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsNo new Geelong and Surf Coast cases for three days with just...

No new Geelong and Surf Coast cases for three days with just one more state-wide

Geelong and Surf Coast COVID-19 cases have remained level for the third consecutive day as cases increased state-wide by just one today.

Confirmed coronavirus cases remained on 62 for greater Geelong while Surf Coast cases remained on 10, as of midnight last night, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.

Across Victoria cases rose to 1302, including 679 males and 623 females, with people aged from babies to their early nineties.

Fourteen Victorians, aged from their 50s to 80s, have died from the disease so far.

In Victoria 136 confirmed cases may have been acquired through community transmission with more than 75,000 tests conducted to date, according to the department.

Currently 32 people are in hospital, including 13 patients in intensive care and 1159 people have recovered.

Another 773 cases were acquired through overseas travel and 389 through contact with known source, while four remain under investigation, according to the department.

Of the 1302 cases, 1037 occurred in metropolitan Melbourne and 237 in regional Victoria. Several cases remain under investigation.

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton today urged Victorians to stay vigilant and not erode the gains made in slowing the spread of the virus.

“Now is not the time for complacency. We still have a long way to go,” Professor Sutton said.

“While we are starting to see some improvement in the rate of transmission, that rate could climb quickly if we lose focus.

“We thank those Victorians who overwhelmingly are doing the right thing by staying at home, but we must keep at it to save lives.

“Everyone who’s unwell must isolate themselves and everyone who’s been told they’re in quarantine either as a returned traveller or close contact must do so.”

Meanwhile, police issued 67 fines in the past 24 hours across Victoria including 13 people playing poker at a private residence.

Police conducted 540 spot checks at Victorian homes, businesses and non-essential services during that time.

Since March 21, police have conducted a total of 21,757 spot checks across the state as part of Operation Sentinel.

Under the current State of Emergency Victorians are only permitted to leave their home for food and supplies, medical care and care giving, exercise, and work or education.

Police can issue on-the-spot fines, including up to $1652 for individuals and up to $9913 for businesses.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Man under police guard after hospital death

A psychiatric patient has died, with another patient under police guard, following an incident at a Geelong mental health facility Homicide Squad detectives are investigating...

One round to go

A pillar of history

More News

Olivia to don green and gold again

A Highton teenager will represent Australia at DTB Pokal 26 in Stuttgart, Germany, from 19 to 22 March as part of the Australian Women’s...

A pillar of history

Mick Slocum is bringing history back to the region, following the restoration of Geelong’s last remaining Victorian-era pillar box, with plans for Portarlington. ...

Understanding the wetlands

Bellarine community members have a better understanding of wetland values thanks to strong support during Ramsar Week. More than 200 people engaged...

Boy charged over Little Malop Street stabbing

Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives have charged a boy following a stabbing in Geelong’s Little Malop Street on Thursday. The 16-year-old has been charged with...

Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local...

Crack down on dodgy drivers

New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday...

NATURE WATCH with Jen Carr

I was driving to Torquay one day and spotted a juvenile black-shouldered kite in a dead tree. I had to make a tricky u-turn...

Protect our hoodies

People travel thousands of kilometres to catch a glimpse of a blue whale or get up close and personal with a koala. But you may...

The stars are aligning

Great Wall's Haval H6 PHEV is the third plug-in hybrid that we have driven in as many weeks. Dating back to 2011, the third generation...

From the archives

17 years ago 20 February, 2009 A company is investigating potential for a wave power plant off the region’s coastline. Western Australia-based Carnegie Corporation is in talks...