Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsABL pulls out of Waurn Ponds

ABL pulls out of Waurn Ponds

Geelong Korea’s short involvement in the Australian Baseball League (ABL) is officially over.

Geelong Korea began competing in the ABL in the 2018-19 season. It played home games at Waurn Ponds and was made up of professional South Korean players.

However, Baseball Australia confirmed that the team would be involved in the 2023-24 season.

The team received support from the City of Greater Geelong and the state government.

“This is a really disappointing decision for the club, its players, supporters and the wider community of Geelong,” Geelong mayor Trent Sullivan said.

“Geelong Korea is a unique club and one that bore the brunt of the disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I would have liked to see the club given more time and support to re-establish in the ABL, which would help grow the sport locally and capitalise on its international potential.”

In its three seasons competing in the ABL, Geelong Korea teamwon 31 games and lost 89.

Baseball Australia chief executive Glenn Williams said the decision was reached through thoughtful consideration, but didn’t give any clear reason on why the team had been axed.

“While this is a tough decision and we are certainly sad to see Geelong Korea leave the Australian Baseball League, the decision has been made following in-depth consultation with all parties, and in the best interest of the Australian Baseball League, fellow teams, corporate partners, and fans of the game,” he said.

Mr Williams thanked the Victorian government and City of Greater Geelong for their support of the baseball community.

“For an international team located in Australia it hasn’t been easy,” he said.

“The support shown by the Victorian government and Geelong City Council of GK, and baseball more broadly, has been unwavering. We are all grateful for the support shown.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...