Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsWife jailed for burns death

Wife jailed for burns death

“He’s got superficial peeling,” is how Geelong mum Angela Surtees described to emergency services the horrific fatal burns she caused her husband by dousing him in petrol and setting him on fire.

Daniel Surtees was crying out in pain in the background of the triple-zero call on January 25, 2019.

Surtees used a garden hose to put out the flames that engulfed the 36-year-old Geelong father while his two youngest daughters watched on.

Mr Surtees suffered burns to 80 per cent of his body and died in hospital the following day.

Angela Surtees pleaded guilty to manslaughter, admitting she caused his death as a result of an unlawful and dangerous act.

She wanted her husband to fear he would catch on fire when she poured a red jerry can of unleaded petrol over Mr Surtees as he sat in an armchair in their home’s enclosed porch sunroom.

Surtees then lit a cigarette lighter in close proximity to the fuel, sparking the blaze.

Victorian Supreme Court Justice Andrew Tinney on Friday, March 11 jailed Surtees, now 35, for 12 years.

There were cries and sobs in the courtroom as the sentence was read out.

Having already spent two years behind bars, Surtees will be eligible for parole after another six years.

“You and you alone caused his death by your criminal and outrageous actions which constituted a serious act of family violence,” Justice Tinney told Surtees.

Justice Tinney has previously been critical of Surtees and her response to Mr Surtees’ injury and death, describing the question of her remorse as vexed.

She wrote in a letter to the court that she would be “a prisoner of grief for the rest of my days”.

But she never mentioned in the letter or her police interview the trauma she inflicted on Mr Surtees, he said.

“At no point did she express any concern at all for his pain that he was going through, the agonising situation he was going through as she spoke,” he said.

Surtees snacked through the interview.

“There’s no crime in that, but she did not come across as being a very distressed person at all,” Justice Tinney said.

She gave an ever-changing account of what happened, to paint herself in a better light, and blamed Mr Surtees’ brother for his death after he made the decision to turn off life support.

Mr Surtees’ eldest daughter remembered him as a fiercely protective “classic Aussie larrikin” who loved to cook.

“All the special moments to come in my future – my heart will be hurting,” she said.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Lifeline 13 11 14

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...