Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNews'Ugly' NBN box ruins dream-home plan

‘Ugly’ NBN box ruins dream-home plan

An “ugly” NBN node box has ruined Susan and Shaun Wootton’s plans to build their “dream home” in East Geelong, they told the Indy on Wednesday.

NBN Co installed the box on a nature strip outside the couple’s house in August “without any communication”, Mrs Wootton said.

“We just saw the green box and thought, ‘hang on, where did that come from?’”

Mrs Wootton immediately contacted NBN Co, which told her a re-assessment of the node’s location would cost a non-refundable fee of $1100.

The reassessment would not guarantee a relocation of the box, the government-owned corporation told her.

NBN Co told the Wootton’s they would have to pay the costs of moving the box, minus the assessment fee, if assessors decided in their favour.

“We shouldn’t have to pay tens of thousands of dollars which could have been avoided if NBN had just communicated with us,” Mrs Wootton said.

The box is located on a nature strip to the rear of the current house, which the couple purchased in 2016.

In December 2017 they met with council planning staff to discuss demolishing the current house and building a new house facing the property’s opposite frontage.

But the “big ugly green box” now marring that frontage had ruined their plans, Mrs Wootton said.

“We understand nodes have to be placed somewhere but it shouldn’t prevent us from building our dream home.”

NBN Co on Wednesday provided the Indy with a copy of a letter to the address dated 29 January.

But Mrs Wootton said her tenants at the house “had no memory” of NBN Co contacting them at all.

An NBN Co spokesperson said the corporation contacted the occupants and received no objections to the proposed site for the box, before installing it.

“Nearby residents are routinely notified of the intended placement of infrastructure and siting is determined as much as possible to satisfy competing demands.”

NBN Co informed Geelong’s council of the site as required under the Telecommunications Act 1997, the spokesperson said.

 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...