Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsRecreational boat users urged to be vigilant

Recreational boat users urged to be vigilant

The Coroner has urged recreational boat users to be vigilant after the deaths of three men last year.

Coroner Audrey Jamieson said the incidents highlighted the importance of education and competency training.

“Recreational boating is an integral part of the lifestyle of many Victorians,” Ms Jamieson said.

“All persons operating a vessel or persons onboard should be aware of the incidental risks of undertaking such activities, especially in locations that entail heightened risk.”

Queenscliff Coast Guard commander Michael Donohue said there were a number of safety precautions people should take before heading out onto the water.

“Take good care of your vessel before you go out, make sure everything’s running well. Make sure you’ve had it serviced and it’s in good operating order. Always wear a lifejacket at all times, even if you’re not in an area where you’re not required to. Keep it on at all times.”

Mr Donohue said people were all too often inadequately prepared for their trip.

“Some of the more common mistakes people make is they’re not sure of where they’re going. They’re not familiar with their surroundings that can cause them to run into shallow water and run aground that can cause them to run into rocks and do damage to their vessel.

“The other part of that is they’re not familiar with the channel markers and indicators of where it’s safe to boat.

“The other dangerous part about boating at Queenscliff is the route, which is the entrance to Port Phillip, and you can get, depending on the tidal conditions, quite extreme and sudden wave actions through the rip that cause difficulty.”

“We had a boat overturned just out of the rip last year and fortunately, the young fellows that were in the boat were all wearing life jackets, were capable swimmers and were able to get out of the circumstance.”

He also encourages people to be cautious of their surroundings and get help if need be.

“People need to understand that the ocean can be a little dangerous and if you’re inexperienced or unfamiliar with the region, then speak to people with local knowledge. Contact the coast guard if you’re going out and find out what issues there may be.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...