Centre to reopen after virus case

Ocean Grove's Boorai Centre. (Supplied)

By Luke Voogt

Ocean Grove’s Boorai Centre will remain closed until next Monday after a child who contracted COVID-19 visited the venue on July 2.

“This decision has been taken as the safety of our families, and the safety of the wider Geelong community, is our highest priority,” council chief executive officer Martin Cutter said on Tuesday.

“We are working closely with the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and providing the level of information and support it requires.”

Geelong council announced the venue would reopen next Monday, July 20, following an extensive deep clean of the entire facility, in line with COVID-19 health and safety protocols.

The centre closed last Friday after the DHHS advised City Hall that a child who attended the centre on July 2 had contracted COVID-19.

The child did not display any symptoms and was not visibly unwell on July 2, according to a statement from City Hall on Tuesday.

“All identified close contacts of the confirmed COVID-19 case have undergone a coronavirus test,” the statement read.

“To date, no test has returned a positive result.

“Following further direction today from the DHHS, we are exercising some caution and not re-opening the centre until next Monday.”

Council notified parents of children attending the centre of the closure via text.

“Families with children who were scheduled to attend the centre today were last night informed of the closure,” City Hall said last Friday.

“City staff were also contacted and will not be attending the centre.

“City employees identified to have come into contact with the affected child will be tested and will remain at home during a quarantine period determined by the DHHS.”

Meanwhile, a Belmont High School student has tested for coronavirus, the school has confirmed.

But the student did not attend while infectious due to the recent school holidays, its principal Sandra Eglezos said in a letter to families.

After investigating the case the Department of Health and Human Services determined no need for the school to close, Ms Eglezos wrote.

The department also advised that staff or students did not need to take any further precautionary action other than that already communicated to the wider community, she wrote.