Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsPokies silver lining in pandemic

Pokies silver lining in pandemic

COVID-19 restrictions have stopped more than $17.3 million being fed into Geelong pokies, the Alliance for Gambling Reform has estimated.

The alliance’s chief advocate, Tim Costello, described restrictions shutting down poker machines as a silver lining of the pandemic.

“It has been awful reading about the lives lost to COVID-19 around Australia, and my heart goes out to the people who have been affected,” he said.

“We also feel tremendously deeply for the people of Geelong who have lost their jobs through this devastating crisis.

“But the shutdown of poker machines in Geelong has undoubtedly improved lives for many people for the better, and perhaps even saved local lives.”

The estimated figure, based on average monthly pokies losses for greater Geelong, equates to more than $326,000 saved per day since March 23, according to the alliance.

Monthly pokies losses hit a 20-year low in March as restrictions came into force, according to statistics from the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation. The commission has yet to release April figures.

But with all pokies venues closed, Geelong will record zero losses for April, the lowest monthly figure in the history of gaming machines in the city, according to the alliance.

“Some people will have turned to online gambling, and we are concerned about this,” Reverend Costello said.

“But the majority of gambling harm in Geelong is attributable to poker machines.”

The money saved would be spent locally at a time when it was needed most, Revered Costello said.

“Poker machines are an effective drain on the Geelong economy.

“They prevent people from having the money to not only pay their bills but to also do the little things in their community like buy a coffee and cake or a book from a local shop.”

The alliance was hearing “great stories” of people no longer having money “bled by poker machines” from their accounts, Reverend Costello said.

“I know of one mother who is finally breathing a sigh of relief knowing her child can no longer blow his income on the pokies.

“He’s finally eating and putting on weight as his depression is much improved since the pokies shutdown.”

Australians lost $25 billion gambling last year, the highest rate of losses per head in the entire world, according to the alliance.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...