Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsWrestling at the Palais

Wrestling at the Palais

The Palais Theatre will hold a unique event next weekend, welcoming Melbourne-based professional wrestling organisation Deathmatch Downunder for Malice at the Palais.

The 18-plus event will feature Geelong’s own Edward Dusk challenging newly-crowned DMDU heavyweight champion Royce Chambers for the title, while fellow Geelong local Will Walker will face veteran Joel Bateman in a ‘Surf City Deathmatch’.

Deathmatch Downunder head of community engagement Erin Dick said it was pleasing to finally be able to come to Geelong for a live show after the challenges of 2020.

“We’ve been dying to get back to live shows,” she said.

“Professional wrestling in Australia is in its prime. We’re confident that we can continue to deliver compelling and safe events for our community.

“There’s no better time than now to become a fan of pro wrestling.”

Like many performing arts, the professional wrestling sector was impact by COVID-19 lockdowns and restrictions on gatherings.

Bateman said he was excited to again be able to perform in front of an audience.

“Professional wrestling is an amazing art form where you’re able to leave your problems at the door for a couple of hours, and immerse yourself in this alternate universe,” he said.

“We have all missed this during this pandemic, and I am so very happy to be back.

“This is an escape for us [performers and producers] as much as the people watching us perform.”

Malice at the Palais is scheduled for January 22, with doors opening at 6.30pm.

Details: bit.ly/3zRZJWh

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...