Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsMore BreastScreen services announced

More BreastScreen services announced

Residents in Greater Geelong will soon have better access to BreastScreen Victoria services including vital preventative breast scans and specialist treatment.

The state government announced on Monday, June 13, that five new services had been allocated for the state, and three temporary sites in Hoppers Lane, Craigieburn and Pakenham will be converted to permanent sites with greater capacity.

The Local Government Areas of Whittlesea, Casey, Greater Geelong/Surf Coast Shire, Melton and Moreland will receive new screening services to be completed by January 2025.

The services are part of a $20 million grant, announced in the 2022/23 state budget, to deliver breast screening services to an additional 36,000 eligible Victorians every year by 2026.

Funding will also be allocated for the expansion of BreastScreen Victoria’s Reading and Assessment services in Parkville and Monash.

It will also support strategies designed to increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women accessing services.

Member for South Barwon Darren Cheeseman said the announcement was a positive one for Greater Geelong residents.

“Thanks to earlier detection and better treatments, more Victorians in South Barwon are surviving breast cancer,” he said.

“We’re making it even easier to get screened with a permanent service in Geelong and the Surf Coast.”

Womens minister Gabrielle Williams said getting tested was “quick, easy and more accessible than ever”.

“We’re delivering breast screening services to thousands more Victorians every year and I urge all Victorians not to wait. Book your free breast screen today,” Ms Williams said.

BreastScreen Victoria provides free two-yearly breast screening for eligible Victorians without symptoms. If you are due to be screened, book an appointment at a service by calling 13 20 50 or visiting.

Details: www.breastcreen.org.au.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...