Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsKnife raid 'first' for Torquay servo boss

Knife raid ‘first’ for Torquay servo boss

A Torquay businessman has spoken of his shock after an employee was allegedly robbed at knifepoint this week.

Monday’s armed robbery was the first in the service station manager’s experience, he told the Geelong Indy.

“I’ve never dealt with a situation like this before. It’s horrifying,” the manager said.

“Not only is this the first time in my life I’ve experienced something like this, it was also the first for my employee, too.

“I was upset and devastated to hear that my employee was put in such a scary circumstance.”

The lone employee was in the servo when two masked men in colour-coordinated outfits entered around 9pm Monday, the manager said.

The male attendant, in his early 20s, watched the masked, hooded and gloved men steal cash and cigarettes, the manager said.

Police confirmed that both men had knives and jumped the counter.

The employee was shaken afterward, the manager said.

“No one should have to go through this. He was very scared and shocked at the time.”

The employee watched the offenders flee on foot before immediately calling police, the manager said.

Police later released security camera images of the men in the hope someone might recognise them or their clothing.

The images showed them wearing yellow gloves, grey T-shirts and white masks.

One was wearing a red long-sleeved hoodie. The other wore a black hoodie under his T-shirt.

The manager said he believed that police had questioned two suspects.

Victoria Police was unable to provide further details of the incident when the Indy went to press on Thursday afternoon.

Police asked anyone with information to phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...