Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsSexism blamed but union says health boss did a runner

Sexism blamed but union says health boss did a runner

A local union official has accused Barwon Health boss Ruth Salom of abandoning her post when she resigned over the weekend.

“She’s run into a brick wall, taken her bat and ball and gone,” said Andrew Hewat, assistant secretary of Victorian Allied Health Professionals Association (VAHPA).

“She failed to notify the board. She went to the media first and fired off some cheap shots in the process.”

Professor Salom spoke of “equality between sexes” and suggested Barwon Health had failed to modernise its practices in a statement revealing her resignation.

Mr Hewat, who has long accused Prof Salom of attempting to privatise services at University Hospital Geelong, described the claims as “pretty baseless”.

“Being an employee at Barwon Health has its pitfalls but I wouldn’t have said that gender equality is one of them,” he said.

“Diversity and equality is one they work very hard at.

“We also find that offensive and disrespectful that she would make claims that we are not innovative.”

The resounding Labor victory had left Prof Salom without the support to “run her privatisation agenda”, Mr Hewat said.

“I think she realised she wasn’t going to get what she wanted.”

About 40 VAHPA members protested Prof Salom’s “privatisation agenda” at Barwon Health’s annual general meeting on 29 November, Mr Hewat said.

“I reckon that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. She went off on leave after that.”

Mr Hewat had previously accused Prof Salom failing to adequately staff University Hospital Geelong’s new CT scanner.

“Clearly she was taking the hospital in a different direction from what it had always been.”

But he welcomed the resignation.

“They’ve been hiding behind her ruling basically but now that she’s gone there should be no reasons why they can’t facilitate these staffing levels that we require.”

Barwon Health was unable to provide Prof Salom’s contact details or contact her on behalf of the Indy because she was no longer an employee, a spokesperson said.

The Indy was otherwise unable to reach Prof Salom for comment before deadline.

Meanwhile, the chief of Geelong’s biggest stadium has resigned after about two years in the job, citing family reasons.

Kardinia Park Stadium Trust chief executive officer (CEO) Michael Brown announced on Monday he would leave on 15 February.

“Like many people, I find myself at a stage in my life where our aging parents are requiring more support and more of my time, and now is the right time to give back to them.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...