Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsClubs makes $30k from Jones appearance

Clubs makes $30k from Jones appearance

Portarlington Football Netball Club made an estimated $30,000 from Saturday’s one-off appearance by former Melbourne captain and 302-gamer Nathan Jones.

Club president Steve Cogger said between 2500 and 3000 spectators flocked to Portarlington Recreation Reserve to see Jones run onto the field against Ocean Grove in the Bellarine Football League on July 8.

The event was part of the Carlton Draft, where eight ex-AFL stars were drafted out to struggling Victorian country clubs for a cameo appearance.

Mr Cogger said the day was a huge success.

“It was a happy crowd,” he said.

“They wanted to be there, they were having a ball. If we had an aim, we achieved it.

“We promoted ourselves nicely to the AFL and Foxtel and everyone else.

“People were saying what a great day it was around town.”

Jones booted the first goal of the game much to the delight of even the Ocean Grove supporters and finished with two for the day. Ocean Grove spoiled the party somewhat with a 74-point win (see page 27 for the full story).

“You couldn’t have scripted it any better,” Mr Cogger said.

“You’d think you were at the MCG, it was that loud.

“Credit to Ocean Grove footy club – they got right behind it too. They had a big crowd of their own.”

Mr Cogger said Jones fully embraced the occasion.

“I’d never met him before, but heard him speak at a dinner I went to and I’m a Melbourne supporter,” he said.

“He was so good. The Ocean Grove boys asked if he could come into their rooms and speak before the game and he did.

“The Ocean Grove boys came into our changerooms after the game and had a few beers with our players. You don’t see that very often nowadays.

“He (Jones) left at about 9pm and signed every jumper and was just great with the kids.”

Mr Cogger said the money from the day would go towards strengthening the club’s already impressive junior program.

Senior coach Peter O’Connor is standing down after three years in the job and the club is on the lookout for a replacement.

“We just have to make some mileage and improve our onfield performance,” Mr Cogger said.

“I’ve already had phone calls from people wanting to help us.

“We’ve demonstrated we’ve got the club, but we just need to see results now.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Grubbers land recruiting coup

Ocean Grove has pulled off a stunning recruiting coup with Gary Rohan set to wear the red and white this Bellarine Football League season. Rohan,...

Cleaning up litter

Convoy for kids

More News

Why Australia’s Favourite Regional City is Leading the 2026 Jobs Boom

Geelong has been building momentum for years, but a turning point has arrived. Once seen as a city with potential, it now stands at...

Cleaning up litter

People can help keep the region’s beaches, foreshores and marine environment clean during the upcoming Clean Up Australia Day. Clean-up events will...

Convoy for kids

Hundreds of trucks will take to Geelong’s streets this weekend to raise money for families impacted by childhood cancer. The 11th annual...

Celebration of life in the north

A new exhibition delving into the heart of Norlane will open at Platform Arts this weekend. Led by artists Laura Alice and Yuhui Ng Rodriguez,...

Norway rewards in the depths of winter

Independent news editor and Barwon Heads resident Justin Flynn recently ventured to Norway in winter and says a trip to the Scandinavian country during...

Paige’s journey towards remission

A St Leonards teenager’s life was turned upside down last year after she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. Paige Mackenzie,...

School bus concerns

Geelong mayor Stretch Kontelj has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to travel...

Cruise North America

Take in historic cities and rugged shores with Viking’s 15-day Canada and East Coast Explorer voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or...

Teen stabbed in Geelong

A teenage boy was taken to hospital with serious injuries this afternoon after being stabbed in Geelong’s Malop Street. Officers were called to the scene...

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...