Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsGranvia doomed from the beginning

Granvia doomed from the beginning

Ladies and gentlemen. Can I have your attention please.

Can we please observe a minute’s silence for the passing of Toyota Granvia people mover, a project perhaps doomed to failure from the start.

Based on the humble HiAce van, the boxy, monolithic, six- and eight-seater, with its huge radiator grille targeted high-end hospitality, family and corporate buyers.

Priced from $68,000, Toyota says it attracted close to 1000 sales since its introduction in late 2019.

In 2024, they sold 16 of them.

No word on Granvia’s counterpart, the Lexus LM, priced from an incredible $160,000.

Surprisingly, they sold 79 LMs last year which means it will probably stick around for the time being.

The star of the people mover category, whether under or over $70,000, is undoubtedly the Kia Carnival with 1115 sales for the same 12 months.

This compares with total sales of people movers for 2024 of 1616 units.

Granvia was available in six- and eight-seat versions, powered by a 2.8-litre turbo-diesel engine.

Toyota Australia says it has discontinued its Granvia premium people-mover in response to changing market conditions and upcoming regulatory requirements.

Low customer demand, along with the need for technical modifications to meet a new Australian Design Rule (ADR), prompted Toyota to re-assess the suitability of Granvia for the Australian market.

Toyota’s Sean Hanley said as consumer preferences had shifted away from people movers into the booming SUV market, so the company had decided against upgrading the Granvia in line with the new ADR 98/00, which came into effect on March 1.

It should be noted, however, that the SUV boom was well underway before the launch of the car and does not seem to have had the same impact on Kia.

“We initially planned to upgrade the Granvia to meet the new standard but upon reviewing sales, market conditions, production complexity and future regulations, we decided not to proceed and to instead retire the nameplate,” Mr Hanley said.

“The people mover segment makes up just one per cent of the total market with buyers gravitating towards large SUVs. In the end we couldn’t make a compelling business case for continuing with the vehicle.”

The discontinuation takes effect immediately with final deliveries by the end of the month.

Toyota Australia will work with its dealer network to assist affected customers.

“We apologise to any customers inconvenienced by this decision,” Mr Hanley said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...