Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNews‘Urgent’ Osborne works to begin

‘Urgent’ Osborne works to begin

“Urgent” repairs will begin at the 162-year-old Osborne House, Geelong council has announced, almost a year after allocating $1 million for maintenance work.

The council on February 25 approved a prioritised list of maintenance and improvement works costing between $900,000 to $1.1 million in the upcoming 2019/20 budget.

But most of that had carried over from $1 million that council allocated in its 2018/19 budget, according to Osborne Park Association president Cheryl Scott.

“They’ve been sitting on that money for a while,” she said.

Since then, the council had not started work at the North Geelong property except propping up a wall on its stable and perhaps some work on its roof and veranda, Ms Scott said.

But despite the delay, she welcomed the council’s recent list, which prioritised the “most urgent and important” repair works for the heritage-listed site.

“Our understanding is the wheels are in motion and the process is starting,” she said.

The “high-priority” works included $400,000 to repair the stable wall and $300,000 to redesign drainage at the property.

“There’s a large crack in the southwest stable wall due to drainage issues – it’s got a large steal framework propping it up,” Ms Scott said.

“The camber level of the car park is wrong because of resealing with asphalt over the decades.”

Other high-priority works include repairs to windows and walls at the property and replacing fire detectors.

The announcement comes after the council last August ordered a redraft of a master plan that the association described as “vague”.

Initially, in July 2018, councillor Eddy Kontelj moved for a consultant to produce plans for Osborne House and its stables.

But the consultant’s master plan lacked specific details for redeveloping or restoring the buildings, according to the council and the association.

The council spent $118,000 on developing the plan including six drop-in sessions, 20 interviews with 40 stakeholders and two online surveys, which received 317 responses.

The council will release its “re-scoped” Osborne House Sustainable Development Plan in July, estimated to cost $130,000.

“There’s still a lot of work to be done but I believe a sustainable development plan, that focuses on Osborne House and its immediate surrounds, puts us on the right track,” Cr Kontelj said.

“Osborne House is beloved by the community, which I’m sure will be pleased to hear maintenance and improvement works will be prioritised,” Windermere ward councillor Anthony Aitken said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...