By Luke Voogt
Geelong has recorded its first new COVID-19 case in more than a fortnight, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.
Greater Geelong had one active case as of midnight on Tuesday, bringing the city’s total cases since the pandemic began to 66, the department confirmed.
The case was one of two identified through routine testing across Victoria on Tuesday, a department spokesperson told the Independent.
Geelong’s last new coronavirus case prior to this was confirmed by the department on May 25.
The new case was one of four across the state, which brought the Victorian total to 1691.
One of the two remaining cases was a staff member already in quarantine following the Rydges on Swanston outbreak, taking the total of cases linked to that cluster to 14.
The other was a client of Scope Disability Services, at Chelsea, according to the department.
In Victoria 179 confirmed cases have been acquired through unknown transmission, while more than 557,000 tests have been processed to date.
Victoria has 54 active cases, while 1616 people have recovered, according to the department.
Nineteen Victorians have died after contracting coronavirus so far.
Currently nine people are in hospital, including two patients in intensive care.
The 1691 cases state-wide include 898 males and 793 females, with 1405 cases occurring in metropolitan Melbourne and 238 in regional Victoria. Several cases remain under investigation.
“Thanks to Victorians playing their part, staying at home and getting tested, we have made some great progress in slowing the spread of coronavirus,” Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said.
“Our low rate of community transmission means we have been able to ease some restrictions.
“You can have up to 20 people in your home or in a public place. Restaurants, cafes and pubs can have up to 20 customers dine in, and businesses such as beauty therapists can see clients again.”
Professor Sutton urged Victorians to avoid rushing out to see friends or to cafes, and to be considered and cautious.
“If you attended the protest in the city last Saturday, there is currently no requirement to quarantine or get tested if you do not have symptoms,” he added.
“However, should you develop any symptoms, no matter how mild, it is critically important that you get tested.”