Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsFunding increase to help Geelong kids' vision

Funding increase to help Geelong kids’ vision

The state government’s boost to the Glasses for Kids program will see more Geelong families receive help for their children’s vision through testing at school and free glasses.

The $6.8 million injection of funds will triple the capacity of the program according to Minister for Education Ben Carroll, who made the announcement last week.

Wangala Primary School in Belmont will receive vision tests and glasses in March, while Tate Street Primary in East Geelong and Moolap Primary School will get the same in May.

Prep to Year 3 students will have access to free onsite vision screening and testing, as well as free glasses as needed.

The local schools are three of 473 schools Victoria-wide who will join the program after the funding increase, with an extra 74,000 students potentially taking advantage of the chance to address poor vision.

The Glasses for Kids program, which began rolling out in 2015, targets schools identified as having medium to high levels of disadvantage based on their Student Family Occupation and Education Index.

Member for Geelong Christine Couzens said in addition to directly benefiting children, the expanded program would save Geelong families money and time.

“It’s great that students in Geelong will have the ability (to) take part in this program, helping them to thrive in their learning and in life,” Ms Couzens said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...
More News

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...

Partnership not a waste

A research project to strengthen Australia’s capability to develop homegrown, sustainable protein solutions will be led by Deakin University and Bellarine Foods. The partnership, supported...

Jane takes the reins

A new chief executive has been chosen to lead the Borough of Queenscliffe, after the early end to Martin Gill’s contract late last year....

Hawks down Cats in practice match

Led by livewire Nick Watson, Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 17 points in a preseason practice match Dingley’s Kennedy Community Centre on Monday 16 February....

Queenscliff secures bowls double chance

Queenscliff gained a precious Geelong Bowls Region Premier Pennant double chance by finishing second on the ladder by the barest of margins after an...

Fun at the Sunset Run

The 2026 Flying Brick Bellarine Sunset Run was held on Saturday 14 February with a half-marathon and 10km run and the 4km Bully Buster...

Now for the finals

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp saw Ocean Grove defeat Belmont in Geelong Bowls Region Division 1 at Ocean Grove on Saturday 14 February. Both teams...

All sides jostling for ladder positions with one round to go

Things are tight in the Geelong Women’s Cricket A Grade competition with one round to go before finals. East Belmont leads the competition, four points...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and at Ray Menzies Oval as Ocean Grove...