Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsShoot to kill 1800 roos for pet food

Shoot to kill 1800 roos for pet food

More than 1800 kangaroos across the Otways are set to be shot for pet food in a “permanent” state-wide kangaroo harvesting program.

State Government launched the program on Tuesday in a bid to “better manage” Victoria’s kangaroo population and “support” the pet food industry.

Greater Geelong, Surf Coast and Golden Plains municipalities are included in the seven “harvest zones” identified by the government as areas with “significant” kangaroo numbers.

An initial 1865 kangaroos have been allocated to be killed and processed by accredited hunters within the Otway region using a monitored tag system.

Agriculture Minister Jaclyn Symes said allowing accredited shooters to harvest kangaroos will make life easier for farmers.

“The program balances the need to keep kangaroo populations at healthy levels and ensure farmers aren’t being overrun by roos who can eat crops, damage property and compete with stock for feed and water,” she said.

The new program replaces the Kangaroo Pet Food Trial that ran for the past five years and includes “strict safe-guards” to ensure sustainable harvesting, according to government.

Since the trial started in 2014, there had been a 250 per cent increase in the number of kangaroos killed in Victoria, according to a Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning report.

The report, which Australian Society for Kangaroos unearthed under Freedom of Information, stated one million roos died under the program.

The trial aimed to reduce the waste of kangaroo carcasses controlled under Authority to Control Wildlife permits that allowed culling of kangaroos on private land for commercial processing.

Landowners can still apply for an Authority to Control Wildlife (ATCW) permit to manage kangaroos on their properties, but these carcasses cannot be processed under the new system, the government said.

Agriculture Shadow Minister Peter Walsh said the changes expose farmers, shooters and pet food processors to “more red tape”.

“It’s absurd that kangaroos controlled under an Authority to Control Wildlife permit will now be left in the paddock to rot, feeding up wild dogs and foxes,” he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

More News

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...

Upgrades coming to St Albans

St Albans Recreation Reserve will receive a significant upgrade to help improve the reserve’s facilities and accessibility. The Thomson reserve was selected...

Upgrading Fischer Street

Safety upgrades will continue along Torquay’s Fischer Street, with the next stage of works starting next week. Road closures at the...

Mayor raises school bus concerns

Geelong’s mayor has called on the state government to address a “systemic failure” in ensuring the region's students are able to safely travel to...

Juggling act for GFNL fixtures

AFL Barwon has announced a 20-round home-and-away fixture for the Geelong Football Netball League following the withdrawal of Lara from this year’s senior footy...

Improved access for TAFE

Geelong students living with a disability will soon have improved access, inclusion and employment outcomes with a new TAFE centre. Construction began...

Grubbers dig in against disciplined Bulls’ attack

Ocean Grove all-rounder Connor Weidemann believes his side’s total of 177 all out against Newcomb was worth much more given the slowness of the...