Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNewsTrial to boost recovery

Trial to boost recovery

A new trial waste service is set to boost the COVID-19 recovery of central Geelong restaurants and businesses by cleaning up laneways, according to owners.

“I think this project has been really good for me,” said restaurateur Jamie Yang, one of 30 business owners participating in the 12-month trial.

“The rubbish bins have been reduced in the laneways and it’s less smelly.

“It looks so clean and tidy.”

Ms Yang and her husband Michael own a chicken restaurant and a Japanese Izakaya (snack) bar in the central Geelong laneways precinct.

Previously, bins out in the laneways created an unsightly and smelly distraction from the cosmopolitan vibe of the area, she said.

The bins also got in the way of tourists and diners taking photos of the precinct’s various colourful murals, Ms Yang said.

But now Geelong council is trialling two communal compactors, one for waste and another for recycling, in Shorts Place.

Council endorsed the trial in August 2019 in a bid to decrease waste collection truck movements and “visible” bins in the “iconic” laneways.

Ms Yang and her employees now take rubbish from her eateries, currently serving takeaway only, to the compactors at the end each shift.

She described the system as very clean, convenient and efficient.

The initiative would be even more beneficial post-pandemic by helping to make the laneways more inviting as crowds returned, she said.

Barber shop owner Ricky Alamarah also signed up to the trial, after previously using a private waste collector due to council’s service already being at full capacity, he said.

“It’s much easier, we don’t have to store the rubbish at the shop while we’re waiting for it to get picked up.”

He reckoned the initiative would “definitely” boost the COVID-19 recovery of local businesses.

“The look of it is better,” he said.

“The better the street looks, the more people will be happy to spend their time here and do their shopping or get their service done.”

Council waste management chair Ron Nelson said he looked forward to seeing the initiative’s effectiveness over the next 12 months.

“When restrictions ease and visitors are allowed to visit the area, the changes will help create a more pleasant environment within our iconic laneways.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

A vibrant Chinese New Year

Geelong will celebrate the year of the horse with a vibrant cultural takeover of the city centre for the Lunar New Year. Chinese...

Out and about

More News

Out and about

Voice photographer Ivan Kemp thought there might be some activity at Ocean Grove main beach on Tuesday 17 February before the cool change swept...

Mixing authors with kids

Geelong students can participate in an inspiring literary program and meet celebrated children’s authors. State Library Victoria’s Young Regional Writers’ Program will bring...

Community digs deep for defib

Regional stakeholders have banded together to provide life-saving equipment to the Jan Juc community. A new automated external defibrillator (AED), donated by a local primary...

Fairytale return for Two Blues spinner

More than three years after his last 1st XI appearance and after a string of horrific leg injuries, Newtown & Chilwell spinner Chris Williams...

Supersaints aim to shape final four

St Albans/Breakwater captain Damien Biemans is hoping his side can upset a few of the teams vying for GCA4 finals in the final three...

Around the grounds

Independent photographer Ivan Kemp was at St Albans Reserve for the GCA4 clash between St Albans/Breakwater and Teesdale and at Ray Menzies Oval as...

‘Heal the wounds’: Selwood optimistic on bruised Cats

A bruising grand final loss and a testing start to the AFL season have Geelong great Joel Selwood seeing new challenges for his old...

Crossing safety for Barwon Heads

Two raised pedestrian crossings will be installed at a busy Barwon Heads intersection the state government announced. The crossings will be at the Barwon Heads...

Visser headlines runs stats

All the scores and results from Bellarine Peninsula Cricket Association and Geelong Cricket Association games played on Saturday 14 February. The highlight, a superb 175...

New project blooms

Aussie natives are on the agenda at the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Botanic Gardens staff and horticulture students from The Gordon TAFE have partnered to cultivate...